Friday, December 12, 2008

Jimmy Page and Max Volume

Coverdale- Page is a Cd that was built right here in Reno Nevada. Jimmy Page came to town one day, after David & Jimmy had decided to do an album of new material together. Both have serious affectations with the Blues. Both have a peculiar gift for the big rock riff. They immediately hit it off. I was there to answer the call when they needed a mobile recording studio, to pan out the "Sketches" of songs to be. This Cd stands as a great meeting of like minds. It's textures, and volleys of guitar amidst the sheer power of Coverdale's vocals, put it right up in my top faves. A rehearsal/ recording space was needed, and we put them in an upstairs square dancing hall near the corner of Mill & Terminal, in Reno, Nevada. Jimmy and I made friends, he's one of the most down to earth, real guys you'll ever meet. I remember the day he flew in his No. #1, THE Les Paul. If I remember correctly, it's a '67 which he got from Joe Walsh, after a show at Winterland. He told me Joe was adamant "You gotta play this guitar"! When it arrived, we were all sitting around David's Lake Tahoe Chateau, and Jimmy was teasing me..."So, you want to see it?" He'd open the case, and then shut it. A couple moments later he's do it again..."You want to see it"? Jimmy Page is very playful. Jimmy Page loves to tell the stories we all have heard. Furniture in a Seattle Hotel, needed to be "set free" ..."somone might need it" ...Fishing from the Hotel balcony? Why not? Televisions landing on Sunset Blvd? "They make a great sound when they explode"! "Ahhh, The Riot house needed new ones". I still have a pack of Camel lights 100's he left in my car, along with the cheesy souvenier "Reno" disposable lighter. One day I let Ben from Red Cel hold them. I often hold them before a show. Taking Jimmy Page out drinking is a serious endeavor. It's like taking a King, or a President out on the town. Working Secret Service style we'd take him to the toilet. I'd walk "point", and we'd remove everyone from his path. Five large men are needed to take Jimmy Page out drinking. That's why I called on my friends in the beverage trade to help. Once we'd secure a safe haven, in whichever Reno, night spot, Jimmy would lean over, and say "Max, you see that Blonde with the big tits? She's the one that wants to meet Jimmy Page". So now I'd approach said lady and ask her to join us. Jimmy Page would always offer up a $100.00 dollar bill for drinks, but we'd never let him spend it. How can you charge the man who gave you the best music of your life, transcending into the greatest moments of you life, for a beer? C'mon now! I firmly believe the English have a special Alcohol gene. You'd go out drinking with Jimmy Page 'til 5am, be completely trashed, and then he'd call at 10am the next day wanting to go to Bizarre guitar! In our next installment...."Max takes David & Jimmy to Poison"!

No comments:

Post a Comment