Friday, December 12, 2008

Who Is Widgeon Holland?

It was a dark, cold, Reno winter night. My friend Kyle Archuletta had called to say he was Hosting an "Open Mic" night at his (then) club, Beaches, and that I, "should grab my guitar" and join the fun. Deciding that I would rather hang out with cool people rather than watch TV, I did.
Beaches was packed, with a who's of the Reno Music Scene. I met a couple of guys, who looked like wayward Frat boys. James Skipper, Austin Texas native, and Nick Alverson, Reed High Graduate. I'd seen them on campus at UNR. Skipper looks like Matt McConaghey, and Nick could be Matt Damon's stunt double. They were trouble looking for a place to happen.
All 3 of us broke strings. We served up heapin' helpings of "Folk Music Shot From Guns". Later, Skip says, "you should join us at Harry's Watering Hole". "Every Thursday, our friend Drew hosts a kickass party".
3 weeks later I showed at Harry's. As I sat my Guitar down, I was greeted to a packed house, and all eyes and ears were fixed on the stage. Skip was up there with some guy in a robe, wearing Dark Glasses, looking like he'd just left a party at the Playboy Mansion. It was Widgeon Holland doing the Gigolo Bullet revue. To this day, I remember the set as one of the best shows I'd ever seen.
Widgeon Holland was born in March 1975 to a prominent hippie couple at their home, in Austin Texas. His Dad, Travis Holland was famous in these parts, most notably as a Cosmic Cowboy, and revered seminal Willie Nelson sideman.
At age 16, Widgeon was signed to a management contract with Stevie Ray Vaughan's manager, Chesley Millikin. Chesley was the original head of Epic Records in London. He, for many years, was known for his close working relations with the Rolling Stones, and the Grateful Dead. Chesley discovered Stevie Ray Vaughan, and remains one of Rock's enduring legends.
Chesley adopted Widgeon at age 17, so he could take him on a world tour as the new guitar player for ...Long John Baldry. Widgeon went on to play many music festivals around the world touring with his own "Widgeon Holland Trio", and was lauded for some wicked ass jams with Ronnie Wood, and Eric Burdon.
Releasing several successful Widgeon Cd's in Europe, (where he resides), he is acclaimed as a living legend of Texas Blues....with some Funk in da Trunk. America? Not so much here,...yet. A Fall and Winter West Coast Tour could change all that.
When I met Widgeon, we started writing songs as if we'd known each other all our lives. We finished each other's riffs. Hear Widgeon rip the lead guitar on my new CD illuminaughty. Or just listen to the 4 songs on my myspace. Joined with Chuck Ruff on Drums, (Sammy Hagar, Edgar Winter), and John Gaddis, (legendary Reno Bass player), plus Cola & Underpants from PUSHBoX (on Reno, Nevada), Widgeon and I Kick the sh*t out our our guitars to bring you rock for the new millenium, on our CD "iluminaughty"...
Now if I had decided to stay home and watch TV...

No comments:

Post a Comment